The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has cleared and released the 2021 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination results of 14,620 candidates hitherto under investigation while results of 93 candidates have been withheld.
Spokesperson of the Board, Dr Fabian Benjamin in a statement in Abuja, said this followed the consideration and further approval of the recommendations of the investigators by the Board’ management at a management meeting held on Tuesday, 27, July 2021.
Recall that the Board, in its earlier release, stated it would still review the results of the 2021 UTME exercise and any candidate found wanting would have his/her result withheld.
Out of the withheld results, thirteen were discovered to have been involved in examination infractions after they were released and the one earlier withdrawn bringing the total of the results that have been withdrawn to fourteen.
In a similar vein, the results of the 332 blind candidates whose examination was conducted this month have also been released.
The withdrawn results are for the following candidates: Gabriel Micheal; Lawson Ruth Joy; Sadiq Mahbub Auwal;
Attama Lawrence Ikedichukwu( earlier withdrawn); Tambaya Yahaya; Anowa Anointing; and Ogbonna Joseph Dibia..
Other affected candidates are: Ani Maryrose Ada Loiki; Ayomiposi Precious; Ekeocha Chinecherem Michael; Oluwarotimi Toluwanimi Ayanfeoluwa; Edu Teslim Abiola; Simon Friday Promise and Onyeama Odi.
The Board had earlier announced the withdrawal of the result of a candidate, Attama Lawrence Ikedichukwu, for alleged impersonation during the just-concluded 2021/2022 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
The Board said its investigations revealed that Mr Lawrence had hired a professional examination taker to sit for the examination on his behalf.
“However, his luck ran out when the Board’s post-examination processes discovered that the candidate had been impersonated in the course of the examination, a statement by the spokesperson of JAMB, Dr Fabian Benjamin said on Tuesday in Abuja.
Benjamin said on further scrutiny, other hidden dimensions to the case were also unravelled which the candidate had admitted to in the course of perpetrating the fraudulent act.
He said following Management’s consideration and approval of the recommendations of the investigators, “the result of Mr Attama Lawrence Ikedichukwu, whose examination was taken on his behalf at the University of Nigeria, MTN Library, Nsukka, Enugu State, on Tuesday, 22, June 2021, during the second session of the examination for that day, has been withdrawn.”
The Board restated that no result obtained through fraudulent means would be allowed to stand.
He said: “It should be noted that the cancellation is in line with the Board’s policy of cancelling any result fraudulently obtained by any candidate even when such had been released.
“In addition, the perpetrator(s) will be handed over to relevant agencies for the prosecution to serve as a deterrent to other would-be infractors.
“The Board wishes to remind candidates and the general public that it would painstakingly scrutinise the entire examination processes with the proviso that the results obtained through fraudulent means would be withheld and after a thorough investigation, cancelled as the case may be,” Benjamin said.
He further disclosed that the Board is engaged in the viewing and assessment of all CCTV footage of the examination as well as the adequacy or otherwise of the security measures put in place to forestall examination infractions.
“The Board warned that the above-stated case might just be the first of the many that would be unearthed in the course of the review as many more infractions might yet come to light.
“Already, a top security officer who had facilitated the forgery of the Board’s admission letter is being investigated for possible culpability and subsequent prosecution,” he said.